The villa manager will typically have a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Invariably some of them will live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Lombok life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of the villa.
- Do nothing! Relax on your own deserted beach in the shade of the palm trees, taking a cooling dip in the blue ocean or your own refreshing swimming pool.
- Treat yourself to a massage either in-villa or at the nearby Hotel Tugu Lombok spa.
- Play a round of golf at the Lombok Golf Kosaido Country Club – a serene 18-hole championship course on Sira bay with dramatic views of Mount Rinjani.
- For a change of scene, eat out at the fascinating living museum, Hotel Tugu, or enjoy a gourmet dinner at the 5-star Oberoi Lombok.
- Go scuba diving or snorkelling in the crystal aquamarine waters of the Gili islands, famed for their many sea turtles.
- Visit one of the three, coral-fringed Gili Islands – Trawangan, Meno and Air – just off Lombok’s north west coast, for a truly laid-back island experience.
- Investigate the Tanjung village market, where stalls overflow with mysterious and exotic produce.
- If you are on for a challenge and have three days to spare, trek to the rim of Mount Rinjani, Lombok’s revered volcano.
- Explore the waterfalls and forests of the Rinjani National Park on a guided walk.
- Go on a souvenir shopping spree to Lombok’s pottery, weaving and basketware villages, or visit Sweta’s Bertais market which sells pretty much everything made on the island.
- Lombok is well known for it’s pearl farms. For loose pearls and pearl jewellery, visit one of the specialist retail outlets in Sekarbela near Mataram.
- Experience rural Lombok at a slower pace, with a local site-seeing trip in a horse-drawn Cidomo.
- Learn about Lombok’s cultural heritage on a visit to a traditional Sasak tribal village.